Monday 11 April 2011

March racing review (finally!)

I'm acutely aware that due to last week's interruptions, I still haven't finished the racing review for March, or posted last month's football review. The plan is to rectify this situation over the next couple of days starting tonight with a look at last month's racing service performance. I had actually started to write this last week, as you will be able to tell from the write up of 4PA.


PJA NH: Staked 63.25pts, -13.414pts, roi -21.2% (2011: staked 186pts, -38.652pts, roi -20.78%). Well, looking at the roi for March and then at that for 2011 as a whole, you have to say there is an admirable consistency! There's no hiding from the fact that 2011 has been a shocker so far for PJA NH. I am over half the allotted bank down. My subs came up for renewal on Sunday (3rd) and I paid my dues to carry on, at least for the moment. Why? Why not just quit? Well, I've had good times with PJA NH, not least last year, and now there have been three months of losses. Quite simply, I feel they deserve every chance to put things right. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very concerned though. I'm mindful of the fact that there does come a point at which you have to say enough is enough. Unfortunately, I feel that I am very close to that point.

4PA: Staked 29pts, -5.437pts, roi -18.74% (2011: staked 57pts, +6.188pts, roi 10.85%). In the February review I mentioned that 4PA had the potential to make or break my March. With Cheltenham looming and the way the service is staked, a disastrous 4PA performance would take some clawing back and a great performance would be difficult for underperforming services to drag down. As it happened, Cheltenham was looking pretty poor until the final day when an antepost bet on Zarkander at 8s and a largish bet on Long Run in the Gold Cup rescued the situation. Ultimately, 4PA had a relatively poor but not catastrophic month, proving that the person behind it is only human and not some incredible winner-finding robot. Of course Aintree could be a busy time - you know, thinking about it, 4PA has the potential to make or break my April {as it happened, it did neither}. Ever get the feeling of being a hamster on the wheel of gambling life?

Northern Monkey Punter: Staked 23.5pts, +7.257pts, roi 30.88% (2011: staked 98pts, -9.909pts, roi -10.11%). On the face of it, I'm acutely understaking Northern Monkey. No adjustment yet, though. Wayne has mentioned on more than one occasion that the early part of the year is notable for the low grade of racing prevalent on the all weather and that he is anticipating more action when things start improving in that regard. Makes sense. You have to say that a return of 30%+ roi means that the month has been a good one so, being the obedient sort, I will...Northern Monkey had a good month. He came out of Cheltenham the right side of level and a few selections subsequently have run well at good prices showing a newcomer to the service like me the potential that Wayne possesses. Naturally, this will be of no surprise to longer-term members. Looking forward to the long, hot summer months with this one. Or more likely, the cool, wet summer months. Whatever, I'm looking forward to them. With Northern Monkey. Oh, yes.

On The Nose: Staked 56.5pts, -7.973pts, roi -14.11% (2011: Staked 146.25pts, +47.363pts, roi 32.38%). March saw On The Nose joining 4PA in trying to persuade everybody that they are human. Will take more than a mildly poor month to do that, chaps! I remember remarking at the time that the level of OTN involvement at Cheltenham took me aback a little, but then when I looked at their 2010 record at the Festival I was minded to tell myself to not worry and go with flow. One thing I would say about OTN...for a service that introduced itself to the 'paid for' ranks at a very reasonable cost, they sure do look to add value. They have a guest tipster for April, working alongside 'The Judge', and regular contributions from experts on cricket, Formula 1, etc. I really must start recording the results of these additions - could be a goldmine right under my nose and I don't even know it.


So there we have the racing-based view for March. If anyone has any comments about the services, either from their own experience or as a neutral onlooker, lets have them. Keep it civil though, eh.

Tomorrow, the football.


Today's Action

Well rather like yesterday, my cap is well and truly doffed in the direction of Chasemaster. One tip, one 6/1 winner yesterday. Three tips, three winners today (Nicky Tam - Hexham - 8/1, Wait No More - Plumpton - 7/2, and Health Is Wealth - Plumpton - 11/4). Great tipping but I've a strong feeling that the chaps there will just carry on as normal. I don't think there will be any rushes to the head, and it is that sense of solidity that has really warmed me to this service.

PJA NH had another losing day finding just two selections that placed among six, no winners. ProBandit had one bet today which also lost.

Chasemaster: Staked 0.625pts, +2.271pts.
ProBandit: Staked 0.75pts, -0.75pts.
PJA NH: Staked 4.25pts, -2.95pts.
Total financial loss on the racing of £47.31.


To the football...now that's a bit more like it. Football Elite get two right out of two - Liverpool DNB and Real Zaragoza - which incidentally is three from four over the weekend, and Football Investor had Liverpool too. Just to add a little icing to the cake, Sportyy got one tennis pick right from two for some extra profit.

Football Elite: Staked 2pts, +1.94pts.
Football Investor: Staked 1pt, +1.625pts.
Sportyy: Staked £54, +£24.38.
Total financial profit on sport of £242.75.

Monday 11th April: Staked £321.50, +£290.06.
Week to date: Staked £321.50, +£290.06.
Month to date: Staked £5,938.50, -£826.38, roi -13.91%.

So, who's watching the match tomorrow night then? Could be a stormer.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah mate, definitely going to watch the match tonight.

    I can't decide about Sportyy. I mean i think it is a highly profitable service with some excellent analysis going into the bet selections. The only gripe i have is the whole getting the selections through at any point during the day. And i suppose also the speed that the odds change due to it being a free service. How did you finally make the decision to go with Sportyy?

    The other service i wish to mention is PJA NH. This service is really under-performing to a scary level. I joined in late February and am down 30 of my 80pt balance. Past years show healthy profits and selection methods won't have changed much so it really can only be put down to a bad run of variance. I am going to stick with it, because i just know that as soon as i stop follwing, the winners will come in. I am currently also following PJS's Flat service since March 30th, and it is showing a 5.5pt profit (33% ROI) after 2 weeks. So it will be interesting to see how these both compare come the end of November.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    I watched Sportyy selections for a while without actually backing them. The speed with which odds disappeared was obviously a big issue but what I noticed was that the odds on a fairly high number of selections would drift nearer to the start times, a bit like with Football Elite. It doesn't work like this every time, and rarely would the price drift to the recommended odds, but they were acceptable. We'll see what happens now - no problem trialling whilst free.

    There's a whole lot I want to write about PJA NH as it links into a question that Jason of HCE asked me a little while ago and it requires a proper post. The timing needs to be right though, so you may need to bear with me on this one :). Having followed PJA NH for some time now, and the flat service previously, I know Paul will be working hard on putting things right and I would never put anyone off subscribing to any of his services.

    As for the football...Come On Chelsea!...no, that's not right...Come On United!...no, still not right. What to do?

    ReplyDelete