Wednesday 8 August 2012

Market forces.

Yesterday I backed a horse at an early morning price of 4/1. It went off at an SP of 11/1 before finishing 8th of 8.

I know the very occasional big drifter lands the spoils, but let's face it, when the market hollers loudly that a horse has little if any chance, you can write off your bet before the stalls open.

Why is that? I don't know enough about horse racing to come up with a theory that I'm satisfied with. Not a theory that forwards a legitimate, non-bent reason for why violent on-course drifters always perform so badly. I appreciate a horse may get to the track and perhaps not look fully keyed up, dissuading some from backing it. But even so, to drift so badly? Not sure I buy that.

I think if we're being honest, we all know the game is essentially bent. Betfair must provide a temptation that the Good Lord Himself wouldn't have been able to resist during his self-imposed sojourn in the Judaean desert. I can see it now. Satan approaches, laptop in hand, pointing at the market in the 3.20 at Damascus.

"I've got an 'orse!", proclaims the Devil. "Nailed on loser. Let's lay it now. We'll make a fortune together".

I'd like to think that JC would have reported Satan to the Jockey Club and gone back to his fast. But I reckon there are many "characters" in the racing game with not so lofty principals. And I reckon some of them were involved with the horse I backed yesterday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday's Betting

Another decent day with The Sportsman making a winning return from his midsummer break, picking a nice winner up in Scotland. I only managed to get 10/11 as opposed to the Evens recommended, due to that multi-national corporate organisation that is Ladbrokes, with annual profits that run into tens of millions, not letting me have as much as a fiver on anything.

No luck on the racing front - Northern Monkey (0/1), On The Nose (0/1), and The Market Examiner (0/1).

Sportyy showed a couple of points loss as they went 1/4. Decent profit though from Service X (3/3).


Month to date figures...

Racing
Northern Monkey: Staked 14pts, -10.25pts, roi -73.21%
On The Nose: Staked 13.5pts, -6.9pts, roi -51.11%
The Sportsman Racing: Staked 0.5pts, -0.5pts, roi -100%
Winning Racing Tips: Staked 2.2pts, -0.728pts, roi -33.11%
The Market Examiner: Staked 5pts, +1.2pts, roi 24%
Total roi -58.88%

Sports
Summer Of Football: Staked 5pts, +3pts, roi 60%, ROC 15%
The Sportsman: Staked 0.15pts, +0.137pts, roi 91%, ROC 2.28%
Form Lab Lite: Staked 5pts, +1.565pts, roi 31.3%, ROC 3.13%
Sportyy: Staked 9pts, +4.665pts, roi 51.83%, ROC 5.83%
Service X: Staked 70pts, +15.097pts, roi 21.56%, ROC 15.097%
Total roi 38.3%

Grand Total roi 4.75%

No comments:

Post a Comment