Wednesday 23 May 2012

Forward planning.

Whisper it very quietly, but it does appear that summer has arrived. The sun is out, the birds are singing, and England are building up to yet another massive anticlimax at a major football tournament. Make the most of it mind, for in a month's time the summer equinox will have passed and the nights will be starting to draw in again. Now there's a cheery thought.

Wayne of Northern Monkey didn't have a bet today, but he did send out an email to his subscribers apologising for yesterday's poor showing in the 6.30 at Kempton, in which three points were lost. Great customer service, and it's always good to see that the tipster cares, but I must confess I had just put it down to one of those things. A disappointing race, sure. But I doubt I'll remember it in a week's time; not unless specifically reminded of it.

Now what does my reaction tell me? Well first off I guess, that I have complete faith in Northern Monkey as a service and Wayne as a tipster. I suppose there would come a time when my faith would be tested by an extended losing run with any service, but I've got to say, I do completely believe in the four racing services I'm left following. I can't envisage not making money with each and every one of them in the long term, and I do find it easier now to cope with the losers and the losing runs. It sounds like awfully cliched sales-speak, but I do now feel that each loser is just another step away from the next winner (perhaps I should go into motivational speaking!).

I must say, I feel in a good place with the gambling at the moment. I imagine I'm only a bad losing spell away from that changing, but at this moment in time, in the words of Steve Earle, I feel alright. I'm aware I need to sort out in my own head what I'm going to do with the football next season. Being blunt, this is more important than getting the racing side of the portfolio right, for it is on football that I will be able to increase stakes over time and build the whole operation up. The dynamics of football betting means that there is far greater growth potential than that offered by the nags - in fact I think I'm now at maximum capacity with the horses in terms of being able to get my bets on and still stay - relatively speaking - under the bookies' radar. That's not to say there isn't an ongoing place for betting on horses in the portfolio. There is, and it remains very much a part of my long term plans. There is no escaping the fact though that by this time next year, I will have staked a lot more money on football bets with the Asian bookmakers than I will have with the likes of Ladbrokes and Hills on the horses. So it is imperative that I get my summer decision making and strategy analysis right.

So what are other people's thoughts for their gambling when it comes to next footie season then?


Today's Betting

I believe Dean of On The Nose is taking a holiday for a week or so after today and he very nearly signed off with a heck of a day. With an each way double that had the first selection win at 4/1 (The Lock Master - Southwell) but the second horse finish second at 15/2, and with an 18/1 each way bet run a stormer to finish second (Wake Board - Worcester), we had a profitable day, but not as spectacularly profitable as it could easily have been.

No success for Winning Racing Tips today, nor The Market Examiner.

On The Nose: Staked 1.5pts, +2.375pts.
The Market Examiner: Staked 2pts, -2pts.
Winning Racing Tips: Staked 0.8pts, -0.8pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment