Sunday 28 August 2011

Weekend roundup and some thoughts on ProBandit

You can probably guess I'm not in too good a mood right now. Dear oh dear.

As far as the betting is concerned, it's been a profitable weekend overall but nothing to write home about. There has been a comment left under Friday's post about ProBandit and I must say, I am beginning to feel a little concerned about the service. I'm not going to criticise it; I know for a fact that Paul, the guy who runs ProBandit, is a good guy who puts his own money on the line as far his selections are concerned, and I have no doubt that he is as frustrated as anybody with the performance this year. It cannot be denied though that ProBandit has lost it's mojo and I always feel a little uneasy when a change in approach is taken with selections. On the face of it, dropping the NQ bets was the right thing to do as put simply, they hadn't added any profits to the service for a good while. However, they were a factor last year when ProBandit could do little wrong - even if they didn't add much by way of actual profit, they helped to keep things steady and as far as I was concerned, they were an integral and valuable part of the service. Paul obviously thought the best thing to do was to stop giving the NQ bets - I hope in a few months time, with the benefit of hindsight, it will be clear that it was the right move to make.

Of course it is very easy to become overly negative when things aren't going well. My figures for this month have ProBandit at just short of 3.5 points down which is hardly catastrophic. It should alse be noted that although performance in 2011 is well short of what could reasonably be expected, the figures for the last twelve months are still pretty decent. This in itself calls for perseverence and I'm certainly not thinking of jacking ProBandit in at this time.

What doesn't help the ProBandit cause though, is it being one of the more expensive services on the market. It is the most expensive racing service in my portfolio certainly, and with that, I guess there comes a higher level of expectation. Let's see what happens over the next few months.

On a more positive note, it is great to see Skeeve starting the new season in super form and his careful approach to the early games seems to have paid off. A doff of the cap in his direction, not only for the actual picks, but also to his general approach as he backs his own judgement with what seems - judging by his his emails - to be supreme confidence. If he will allow it, I would liken early-season Skeeve to a Mountain Goat, picking his way surefootedly through rocky and dangerous paths. Well done, Old Chap.

Saturday's Betting

The Market Examiner knocked one in from two bets (Waahej - Windsor - 6/1), and the loser came very close to finishing in front too.

TME was the only racing service to finish in profit though. Chasemaster got one to place from two bets (Quecha Des Obeaux - Cartmel - 7/1), as did Northern Monkey (Hezmah - Goodwood - 7/1, affected by a Rule 4). No returns for On The Nose (0/2) or ProBandit (0/1).

The profit came on the football, with both of Skeeve's investments being successful.

On The Nose: Staked 2pts, -2pts.
Northern Monkey: Staked 1pt, -0.4pts.
The Market Examiner: Staked 2pts, +4.4pts.
ProBandit: Staked 0.5pts, -0.5pts.
Chasemaster: Staked 0.625pts, -0.025pts.

Skeeve: Staked 8pts, +11.161pts.

Saturday 27th August: Staked £324.50, +£207.52.


Today's Betting

Losses today.

Northern Monkey was the only racing service to turn a profit, finding a winner that was staked only as a saver (Oneladyowner - Goodwood - 7/1), and two to place (Roicead - The Curragh - 7/2 and Future Generation - The Curragh - 9/1). On The Nose also had Future Generation each way (8/1) and a loser.

No returns for The Market Examiner (0/1) or Pro Bandit (0/3).

Losses too on the football, despite The Sportsman's one bet being successful. Football Elite's start to the season, which rather resembles Arsenal's, continued in poor vein (0/1).

Northern Monkey: Staked 1.6pts, +0.477pts.
The Market Examiner: Staked 1pt, -1pt.
ProBandit: Staked 2pts, -2pts.
On The Nose: Staked 2pts, -0.25pts.

The Sportsman: Staked 0.15pts, +0.1pts.
Football Elite: Staked 1pt, -1pt.

Sunday 28th August: Staked £296, -£139.45.
August to date: Staked £6,726.50, -£40.72, roi -0.6%.
Running total (inc. fees): -£349.52, roi -2.49%.


Finally, a hearty congratulations to Graeme at The Football Analyst. Married today! I hope he's not reading this, because if he is doing on his wedding night, he'll be divorced by tomorrow!

Right then. An evening of gazing at my navel contemplating giving up any interest in football is on the cards. Football? Blah! Who needs it?

2 comments:

  1. Thanx Rowan,

    I probably sound more confident in the e-mails than before due to the fact I've finally done what I should've been doing every August - avoiding opening day picks and only advising a few best bets in these first couple of weeks. I'm finally sticking to my careful August plan and I can't help but feel proud of myself. :)

    Good luck with the tennis adventure btw!

    cheers,
    skeeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Skeeve.

    I know myself it's one thing making a plan, and it's another one sticking to it.

    Tennis trading has got off to a decent start but I have a strong feeling that there is a lot of beginner's luck playing a part. Still, at the stakes I'm playing at the moment, it's not going to send me to the poor house if I lose my way.

    Cheers now,

    Rowan

    ReplyDelete