Thursday 19 April 2012

Galloping Moose!

Galloping Moose was a name I attributed to my best mate's first girlfriend. Seriously, she was no looker. This Galloping Moose refers to something quite different though...

My racing star service for 2011 was On The Nose. Cheap and profitable. A nice combination.

2012 hasn't been quite so kind for OTN though. 'The Judge' - the tipster - is a very talented chap, and nothing has happened to make me have even the slightest concern about the service, form being temporary and class permanent and all that. Just recently, I've felt that all OTN has needed is a touch of luck. The tip given two days ago looked to still be going like a dream after three miles of a 3m6f race at Exeter, when seemingly going wrong and being pulled up sharply. Yesterday's tip was going nicely at Cheltenham too, when it looked like something similar happened. Like I say, a bit of good fortune needed.

Today's tip from OTN was running at Cheltenham (Mad Moose - 7/1), advised to win. With about a mile to go, I scribbled down 'Lost' in my notebook as it badly blundered the tenth fence, and I reached for the remote to find the 3.35 at Newmarket on my Sky Plus recording. Not sure what stopped me, but I hesitated and decided to watch the rest of the race.

These are the race comments from Sportinglife.com:

"held up in rear, not fluent 2nd, blundered 10th, not fluent 11th, mistake 13th, 16 lengths 5th when not fluent 4 out, went 3rd after 3 out, closed from 2 out, 10 lengths down last, stayed on to catch weary rivals and lead towards finish."

To my eyes, ten lengths down at the last looked nearer to twenty, but the way Mad Moose motored up the Cheltenham hill was quite something. Couldn't quite believe it when it hit the front, and I certainly don't remember seeing a horse with my money on it winning from such an unlikely position before.

Lovely to see OTN back in the winners enclosure. Nothing lucky about the performance (and indeed I think the jockey - Sam Twiston-Davies - deserves a huge shout out for persevering when many I'm sure, would have given up), but hopefully this result signifies a general change in fortune for The Judge.


After recovering my composure after such excitement, I'm pleased that I did watch the 3.35 at Newmarket. Northern Monkey had issued a 0.5pt ew tip (Mayson - 7/1) which won very impressively, more or less as it liked.

By the way, re. Northern Monkey and the way I'm following. I've decided, after realising that it only takes one or two big priced winners amongst the bets staked 0.25pt ew to cancel out the discrepancy in results with the larger staked bets, to follow the lesser staked bets that are at double figure odds. Should avoid much hair tearing and the wailing and nashing of molars when Wayne bangs in a 66/1 shot at the weekend. Makes sense to me.



So all in all, not such a shabby day all told. Not so shabby at all.

1 comment: